His football IQ allows him to identify the immediate threat in pass protection. However, Jones is a limited athlete which impacts his ability to explode into the defender. He doesn't create a great push off the line as a result of short arms and poor hand placement.
A zone blocking scheme appears to be the ideal spot for Jones as he can gain position and seal.
Overall, it looks like Jones will be fighting for a later round grade. He doesn't have the ability to play tackle which impacts his upside and versatility.
Bold Statement: Barrett Jones is a guard only prospect and a mid round guy at best
Games Viewed: LSU, Arkansas, Penn State, Florida
- Jones has good size and weight distribution
- He is able to quickly get into his stance and set
- His hands get up quickly and into the defender
- However, he doesn't consistently get his hands inside
- In pass coverage, Jones keeps his head on a swivel
- He is able to anchor after initial contact and hold his ground
- Jones plays with good balance but his limit athletic ability hinders his change of direction
- He appears to be a good fit for at team with a zone blocking scheme
- His short arms makes it tough for him to keep the defenders off his frame
- Those short arms also impact his ability to velcro
- Jones isn't a great athlete and plays stiff limiting him to the guard position"
Has great feet and lateral agility; is also quick of the snap and a natural bend; can get to the second level; technically solid pass blocker with good balance and body control; can also change direction; has a great motor and plays with an attitude;
Has some durability issues as he missed two games last fall with a high ankle sprain and has had shoulder problems which forced him to miss much of his freshman year as well as undergo surgery for a torn labrum in high school; character player who spent his spring break in 2010 helping earthquake victims in Haiti."